Agrimech AMSH Business Model has taken the lead as a Model to be exemplified. Unique and specialized.
At its founding, the award winning AMSH Business Model was about availing the full range of machinery needed in a particular value-chain for farmers to hire and use. This would save them the need to purchase, understand, operate and manage them for business value.
The game-changing principle was that Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) mechanization services provided by trained and qualified mechanization experts and skilled operators would remain present and accountable, in close proximity to farmers.
The first AMSH model Hub was constructed at Mwireri Town at the boundary between Nanyuki and Meru Counties. It boosted tractors, ploughs and harrows, subsoilers, no-till planters, small-scale potato farming equipment, air-seeder and others.
For livestock it had, hay harvesting and packing equipment and silage shredders. For maintenance and repair there was full workshop, equipment for sanitizing equipment, in-field tractor-tyre and other repair equipment and accessories, etc. For community engagement the Hub had a farmers’ meeting room and other amenities.
Today the Hub equipment is scattered between Kirwa and Kibirichia and the primary Hub has since been shifted to Kirwa in Meru (due to distribution of work).
- The Meru Hub today serves clients in all the mentioned localities, including the original beneficiaries in the Mwireri, Timau area.
- The company has recently gained the support of Hello Tractor Software Platform. There is enough clientele to be served, with potato market being Sereni Fries and a Cereals market of Shalem Investors.
- With more machinery, Agrimech can expand her work ten-fold in this area. Shalem has placed her 2 tractors and equipment under Agrimech and the Hello Tractor software platform. The tractors profit-share with Agrimech implements when necessary and especially for subsoiling and sorghum threshing.
- Agrimech Hub-works have expanded to Nyandarua - Potato (with Extension Support of GIZ and market support of Sereni Fries and Engineer Food Processors). Bungoma, Elgeyo Marakwet and Transnzoia Counties await under the GIZ Nutrition Sensitive Potato Partnership Project (NuSePPP).
- Agrimech Hub-Works have expanded to North Rift – Maize, Wheat and Silage, with Machinery and Extension support of Technoserve and John Deere/Mascor. There is a huge market support of Milk Dairies (for silage) and Cargill Maize and Wheat aggregators, who have own mobile silos to contribute to the supply-chain. Counties involved are Uasin-Gishu, Nandi, Transnzoia and Elgeyo-Marakwet.
- Agrimech Hub-works have expanded to South Nyanza (Homa Bay and Migori) – Sorghum (with the Extension Support of the Farm to Market Alliance, a project of World Food Programme and Cereal Growers Association). Technology Support is by Hello Tractor. Kisumu, Siaya and Busia Counties await, all of them anxious to feed the newly established huge sorghum market of East Africa Maltings Ltd (EAML) of Kenya Breweries fame.
- Agrimech has served Sukari Industries (some 7 tractors, ploughs, ridgers and trailers) in a Joint Venture with RentCo East Africa, an Asset Leasing Company.
- Agrimech Hubs and services are sought in many localities that await her works country-wide. From old professional contacts and visits Agrimech Directors have made, there is a lot of work in Northern Tanzania in the pulses, cereals and oil-crop value-chains. If only, Agrimech can have more machinery capacity, in her capital-intensive business.